THE CRICK
Hello Neighbor. Glad you stopped by.
In January of 1971, the company my husband, Al, worked for
transferred him from Monmouth, Maine to the office in Buffalo, New York. We
found a home in Alden on Irving Street. Now Irving Street was no different from any other suburban street. It
had neat houses on both sides with green lawns, trees and flowers. But this
short street came to an abrupt end with a silver-gray guard rail. Standing
there, looking beyond the rail, all one
could really see was just an empty old field, not used for much except
growing weeds and providing a place for
bikers and motorcyclists.
But if you ventured across this not so exciting field, you
would enter a patch of woods and there you would discover a “crick”. Now in Maine,
I would call it a brook, a stream or maybe
a creek, but here it was a “crick”. It was here that our daughter and I and
some of her little friends took a bag lunch and followed the crick. We looked
for little frogs, pretty stones and listened to the water as it trickled down
over the rocks. And yet, not far away was the rush, rush of the traffic on busy
Broadway as the motorists hurried to and fro. But here, along the crick, as it
meandered on its way, the rush of the
world was put aside for a while.
I could imagine the things one would see, hear and find with the changing seasons.
During the fall, footsteps would be hushed by the fallen leaves of brown, red
and gold. Sunlight would filter through the trees creating a feeling of peace
and serenity. Then Old Man Winter would come and change the scene with his
decoration of snow on rocks and icicles hanging on twigs and grasses. Even the
crick’s song would change from the mellowsome of October to a hollow sound as
the water ran beneath the ice. Footprints of birds, rabbits, and other wildlife
would crisscross in the new fallen snow. Branches of trees would drop their
load of snow as one walked by, brushing them lightly with a shoulder.
Spring would follow bringing her warm rains to melt the snow
and ice and now even the quiet crick takes on a sense of rush as it hurries on its way, so fast at times that it flows over
the edges. Then the storms pass and the crick would return to its quiet
meandering as the summer’s sun brings out the buzzing flies and once again the
little frogs appear at the waters edge. The pretty stones could be seen and the
music of the water heard, while all around the busy world continues to rush by.
Stop by again some time and we will have a little chat.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVery nice Mom. I remember that CRICK well.
ReplyDeleteHi Scot, This blogging thing takes a lot of figuring out. Karen was just in and showed me how to respond to readers. I'm still feeling my way around. I have tons of stuff I want to write that's the easy part. I thought you would remember the crick.
DeleteBeautiful. So calming and picturesque. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThat was my very first piece of writing. I didn't start writing anything until we were living in Florida. So will stick one of them in now and then along with more farm stories.
Delete