Wednesday, January 20, 2016

How I became a simple farm girl.

CONFESSIONS OF A SIMPLE FARM GIRL

Hello Neighbor. Glad you stopped by.

Let me introduce myself.  My grandfather and grandmother lived in a small community town  in the Pine Tree State of Maine.  They had a small gas and store business. My parents and I lived with them and my Uncle Jr. (my mother's younger brother).  My grandfather decided to buy a farm some place.  You see, my Uncle Jr.was born with a severe skin problem.  My grandfather thought a farm would be a better place for him. I suppose Uncle Jr. had to put up with a lot of “stuff” from kids being kids.  So Grampa  found  a 140 acre old farm house on a dirt road outside a very small place called North Wayne. Since Mom and Dad and I lived with them, we all packed up and moved to the farm
There was a big farm house sitting on a hill and a big barn across the road. In a couple of years my sister came along making it kind crowded there. Mom and Dad and my sister and I moved from the big house to a small cabin that sat on a knoll just outside the back door.  It was just a one room building, but we made out o.k.  My mother told my father that by the time I reached 5 years old she wanted a house down at the bottom of the hill across the dirt road. She did not want me to have to go down that hill (especially when winter’s snows could be quite deep) to catch the school bus when I started Kindergarten.  And so he did.  A man who was a musical genius and not a farmer or a builder of houses.  Well, September came and so did my first day to go to school.    I just had to go out to the end of the driveway to stand and watch for that big yellow bus. I sure beat tramping down that hill in good or bad weather. And that’s how I became a simple farm girl.


Stop by again sometime soon, and we’ll have another little chat.

5 comments:

  1. I'm new at this blogging. Hope I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was standing in the farmyard watching all that happen. Well done, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim. Sorry I'm getting back to you so late. I really don't know much about logging. Karen was just in and showed my how to reply to my readers. So glad that you were able to visualize the farm from my story. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry. Just figuring out some new things about this blogging thing. Karen was just in and showed me how to respond to readers. So glad that you are one of them. I did find your blog so will check it out again. I sort of found it by accident when I was fooling around with the Social thing on my e-mail. Anyway glad to have you aboard.

      Delete