Hello neighbor, thanks for stopping by. I am a bit late on getting this next blog in this series. First it was VBS at Fairmont Health Care and then it was helping with 4's, 5's and 6's at Rival time this past week.
Anyway, here we are on the road again, heading for Yakima, WA to see what God's plans for us are there. Part of what we were to do was for Al to get a job driving school bus. Then that led to us having our two grandchildren a lot, because of Mom dropping them off on her way to bus driving for another school district and their going with their Grandpa on the bus to school.
Well to get on with what God has been doing in my life of "teaching". This is where the fun part really began. The other churches did not really have much for Sunday School, but here there was a larger congregation of all ages. The pastor that was there when we joined left and so we got a new pastor. He really had been a member there previously before they moved away. When he found out that we were needing a pastor, he came and stayed. He used to be the Youth Pastor years past.
Even though this church was Southern Baptist, it was not as strictly involved in the Association. I have never liked using someone else's Sunday School materials. And I thank God that our new pastor, Rob, let me do my own thing. I was also Director as well as teaching. I worked with the 1st through 6th grades. Generally teaching the older group as it was easier to get someone to do the younger ones. We had a great time. We put on a couple of productions - musical-, and the kids were great to work with. Then we started an Awana Club on Wed. nights and I taught the lessons for the younger group.
A group of us went to Tijuana, Mexico a couple of times to do kids clubs. That was another experience trying to teach a lesson and crafts when the only two words I knew were "Si" and "Uno".
It was here in these years that I began to really realize what God was doing with me. I just never gave it a thought. I never considered being "called" to be a teacher. I just did what I did because I loved doing it. Wherever I went shopping I was always looking for things for my classes or my kids.
It was so much a part of who I was that I never really had to think about it. And it is still that way today.
After about 12 years, (Al and I are getting older now) it was time to think about our future. Our daughter, Karen, who was a professor at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA wanted us to go there to be closer for her to look after us should the time come for that need. In fact, Roy, our son-in-law, built us a brand new house right in their back yard. Close enough? It is great and has been good and it was God's plan all along.
Now comes a new church. This one is really, really large compare to any we had ever been involved with before, 600 + and growing. I didn't figure on getting in volved so quickly, but when God opened a door for Kindergarten I wasn't about to say "No". I have never really taught or worked with that age group, but found out that I loved it. Probably God's doing. But anyway. that's where we are today.
Our church started a Good News Club after school at a local elementary church and I taught the younger group. God is so good. He is always there when I get up to teach. It is so amazing and catches me by surprise by how He does it and what a difference it makes in my teaching.
But age is catching up with me and I get tired easier so try to do things that involve a smaller number of children. But teaching is still a joy and I love being able to do my own thing, thanks that this is OK.
Well, guess I have made this blog long enough but I just wanted to share how I became a teacher. I have the best boss ever and I teach from the greatest book ever written, the Bible. How can things get any better than that.
Well, that's my story of becoming a teacher. Thanks for stopping and come again soon.
Wonderful story about how you became a teacher, Mrs. Swallow!
ReplyDelete