Monday, September 19, 2016

I'M KILLED!

Hello Neighbor, thanks for stopping by.

I was thinking back to my days on the farm and remembered something that happened many years ago.  A farm is a place where accidents could easily happen.  Looking back, I remember the time I got my arm caught in the ringer of the old washer machine.  It could have been more serious, but I ended up with a bulge on the inner side of my left arm. But things could have been worse.

Than there was the time that we kids were playing in the attic of the farm house and there is no floor there, just a few planks to walk  on.  Well, one of the boys stepped off the plank and his foot went through the ceiling into the kitchen below.  Thankfully, it didn't go all the way through or he would have landed with a thud on the kitchen floor. That would have probably been a more serious situation.

Then I remember a time when some of the kids down the road were up and we were playing in the hay loft of the barn.  Well, there is a beam that crosses the barn and it is very, very high. We were always walking across that beam. Again no one fell from up there,I don't think. But we did have a girl that slid somehow off the hay loft and landed on the barn floor.  I don't remember that she was hurt very much.

Then there was the time that my mother was milking and tending to the cows and one of them tossed her head up and caught Mom just above one eyebrow. She was lucky that it was not her eye.  Mom had to have a few stitches and had a few headaches for awhile.  Again, it could have been a whole lot worse.

But the thing that happened to my Dad could have been the worst of all.  Dad was in the field across the road with the tractor.  He had a kid helping him. He came from way across our woods and on the highway that went into the town of Wayne.  He was sitting in the driver's seat on the tractor.  Dad was standing just behind the front wheel showing this boy something.  I don't know what happened, but the tractor suddenly went forward, knocked my father down and the big wheel went across his chest and just missed my father's head.  The boy jumped off the tractor and took of pell mell through the woods and headed home.  My mother and I heard my father hollering, "I'm killed, I'm killed," as he came running from the field ,up the road and to the house. Obviously he was'n t killed with all the noise he was making.  Thankfully he was not hurt either. At least as far as we could tell. We believe that it was  because the ground there was very soft and Dad's body was cushioned by that. So we took off in the car to get to the kid's house so he wouldn't scare his mother to death.  So everything had turned out not so bad in all these situations.

I, of course, just know that God was sitting up there watching all these things that were just about to happen and he sent an angel to help it from getting too serious.
Well thanks for stopping by and hope you will again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment