Monday, July 18, 2016

PUTTING TRAINING TO WORK

Hello Neighbor. Glad you stopped by.

You never know what God is going to do.  Al had been working at the Buffalo Plant for almost four years, when he received word that they wanted him to return Monmouth. So we packed up again and headed East.  Once there we located an older farm house with a bit of land. This house was outside Monmouth Center where we lived before we moved to Buffalo.

The church that we found to attend was a few miles from our place. It was a very small country church with only a few older women who attended.  There was a need for more Sunday School activity and this is where I came in.  I had helped out in the Sunday School at the Monmouth Center Church and the little country church in the boonies while in Alden.  Now here there was not much of Sunday School at all.  So I started to put my training to use and get something going.  Eventually we attracted more people and some children.  Slowly the church began to grow and so did the Sunday School.  God had prepared me well and I was able to direct and teach and help others who would come along and help in the Sunday School.

We grew enough so that the church voted to borrow $5000.00 dollars from the association to add a building for social times and Sunday School classes.  It was an exciting time in the lives of the members of that little country church.  It is still meeting, the last we knew.  And praise to God for keeping that little church alive to minister to the few local members who attended.

We were there for about seven to eight years, when, again, Al was sent back to the Buffalo plant. This time we found a house much closer to the city.  We joined a church there and settled into a new church family.  And again, Sunday School drew me in.  This time, the S. S. Director showed me a room that had lots and lots of left over Sunday School material. He wanted to know what could be done with it.  I told him to let me take it home and I would figure something out..  With God's help, I went through all that material of all kinds, discarded some and sorted out others.  When I got through it all, I had to figure out what could be done with it.

First, I made a card index with the names of the different papers, such as Moses, Creation, etc. Then I made a cross reference index with the subject of the stroies, peace, love, sharing, loving, etc. Then God gave me the idea to write a curriculum which the teachers could use for lessons and with the help of the card index, they could find the resources that were available for their lessons. I still have that curriculum. A few of the teachers did use the outline.

After a few years, Al figured out that they were going to sell the plant and we would probably be sent back to Maine. By this time, Al had 25 years in the business and considered retiring. So he did.A friend of his had a tool rental business in Hallandale, FL. He suggested Al might be interested in managing the business. So we made a quick trip down and checked it out and decided we would like to give it a go.

By now I have had a few years of using the various training tools that God had given me and we would see what He has in store for us in Florida.

Stop by again  sometime and we will chat again.


1 comment:

  1. Love your post Shirley and sharing a chapter in ur life! Yes God is good and always provides!

    ReplyDelete