Monday, June 27, 2016

ONE LITTLE STEP FORWARD AND ONE GIANT ONE BACKWARDS
Hello Neighbor. thanks for stopping.

When I lived back on the farm, it was just as normal for us to attend Sunday School and Church as it was to attend to any of the other things that were a part of our life on the farm.  We went to a Methodist church in the little town of North Wayne.  Mom and Dad were usually the ones to get there to get things started.  I learned all about God, Who He is and What He had done. God , the Creator.  I also learned about “ All have sinned and fallen short of the Lord”.  That Jesus was God’s Son and that He died on the cross to forgive me of my sins. So church was always there.

It’s strange how easily we slip out of the habit of church when we leave home for college or work, or maybe some other reason. Well, I was no different.  I never gave much thought about looking for a church or considered going to one.  Now that was before God stepped in again with another of His little boosts.  For some unknown reason, I decided to go to church one Sunday morning. This is while my sister and I were living and working in the Boston area.  Since I didn’t know about many churches, I chose to go to one of the biggest ones in Boston. Tremont Temple.  It was like going to a huge concert, or opera house.  I sat high up in a balcony and looked down onto the main floor where it looked like hundreds of people were sitting.  After the sermon ,  the usual call for people to come forward who needed to ask Jesus for forgiveness of sins, etc.  I looked at how far away I was and of the long walk to get down from the balcony, walk down that long aisle and to the front of the church and said to myself," Guess not.”  

I decided I would give it a try next Sunday only this time I would sit down on the main floor. At least if the Spirit moved me I would at least be closer to the front.  And that is what I did. I guess God had another step for me to take.  I went in the back with a person and they went  through the usual procedure of words and prayer.  I said, “Yes”, and prayed with them.  And then I left.  No one ever did a follow-up on me. I suppose they have hundreds come forward and can’t follow-up on everyone.
Well, so much for that.

 The only thing I really remember is that I knew I meant what I said and what I believed.  And I guess that is a step in the right direction.  But it’s not easy living as I was living in a place like Boston with no mentors or church family to help me along the way.  They usually call someone like me a “baby” Christian.  Well a baby sure needs someone to help them along the way. So I just went my own way as I was before. And my way soon led me to that road that has the wide gate as the Bible says and I just continued on my way on that wide road.  Well, after some time of that, I guess God decided He’d better step in again and He did. He got me back on the farm.  

  Well, now I needed a job and God  had that all lined up too. It was at the same place where Al worked only I didn’t know Al at that time.  But God did.  Well, to make that story short, Al and I got married and settled in on the farm in the big old farm house because my Grandmother was living in a smaller house in North Wayne.  It  wasn’t long when Al began to talk about buying our own  place. So we did. And guess who picked out the house. God did. It was in a small town called Greene, about 30 minutes from the farm. But just a mile or so up the road was this small church and on the dirt road that went behind our house was a woman who had Prayer Meeting time at her place once a week. So after a while, we got involved at the little church and I went to the Prayer Meeting. So God had finally gotten me to where I was back in church again.

Well guess I'd better continue what God does next until next time. It's getting hard to keep us with Him.
Glad you stopped by and do so again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment