Hello Neighbor. So glad you stopped by.
Living on the farm and trying to keep up with all the odd jobs that farm living requires, there's not much time left for entertaining our-selves. So quite often after the morning church service and dinner, we would all pile into the car and go for a ride. Usually it was no place special, but at least it was a break from the farm chores.
While my sister and I were quite young during this time of Sunday drives, we had our own way of entertaining ourselves as we rode along. It's a wonder we didn't drive our parents crazy with our foolishness. Mary would sit on one side of the car and I would sit on the other. We would watch out our window to see if we could see a brook, or pond or any kind of water. Once our eyes spied the water on our side, the one with water would holler out" Water, water, water". We would keep it up until the water disappeared. Again as soon as I saw some on my side of the road, I'd begin to holler,"Water, water, water". We'd keep this up for quite a ways. Sometimes it would be enough water just to get out one "Water", and that would be all. I don't know where we got that idea, but it was entertaining to us.
Another game we used to play was watching for cows. We'd each count the cows we saw on our side of the car and when we came to a cemetery we had to bury them all and then start over again.
I expect we thought up some other kinds of games to play but these two are the ones I remember the most. I can hear us just as if it were only yesterday. "Water, water, water, water, water, water."
Stop by again sometime and we'll chat again.
No comments:
Post a Comment