Monday, February 22, 2016

I'M DOWN HERE!





“I’M DOWN HERE”!
Hello Neighbor. Glad you stopped by.

When I was still quite a small simple farm girl, I often would go with my Dad to the barn to help with the night time chores.  To the right of the main barn floor, where we would back the hay wagon in to unload the hay, was the stables for the cows.

Their stalls were built up a few inches, leaving an area for the manure to fall into.  In that area there were planks that we could lift up so that we could shovel or rake the manure down into the hole and it would go on the manure pile under the barn. While Dad was doing the milking, I would take the rake or shovel and do my job of cleaning out behind the cows and put down some straw so the cows would have a clean place to lay down for the night.

Well, this particular night, Dad was a milking, and I was a cleaning and shoveling.  Well, I slipped and down I went, right through that hole in the floor and onto the manure pile down under the barn. It was dark down there and a few other things, too.


I began to holler and Dad hollered, “Where are you?”  “I,m  down here”, I yelled back.  Dad just reached down and pulled me up out of there. What a mess, but I wasn’t hurt, Well, maybe just my pride. But it is something that I have never, never forgotten.

Stop by again some time and we'll have another chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment